I lead and help define digital product strategies for top global brands using trend analysis, customer insight, business modelling, workshop facilitation, creative direction, user experience design, usability testing, Lean Startup, Lean UX and Agile development processes.
(The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun)
News International asked me to set up a innovation (R&D) lab as part of a new UX practice and deliver disruptive innovation using Lean Startup and Lean UX methods.
British Sky Broadcasting (BSKYB)
Sky is a valued part of everyday life in over 10 million homes. Sky entertains, excites and inspires customers with a great choice of high-quality television in high definition. Sky wants to make technology simple and put viewers in control. Their vision is to connect people to each other and to the world with our broadband and phone services.
As Director of Solution Design I defined the product innovation strategy required to successfully meet and exceed Sky.com business KPIs. I achieve this by providing leading edge design, user experience and usability expertise combined with innovative design thinking to deliver beautiful experiences across all Sky.com touch points that affect the lives of both our prospects and existing sky customers. I also built up and managed a team of 28 creative and UX designers.
- “Significantly increase adoption of all digital customer experience channels for sales & service …whilst reducing unnecessary (phone) interactions”
- Be a strategic function that helps define the future vision and product strategy
- Match business goals to customer expectations. Build an emotional connection
- Join up end to end multiple customer journeys to deliver the best, most holistic experiences
- Integrate well with all business teams and the way they function (agile synching where it makes sense)
- Win industry awards and Deliver innovation that pleases target audiences within budget.
- Be the center of design excellence for anything online.
- Be the design authority.
Some of the Sky apps and functionality I have worked on include:
- Sky Go allows Sky TV subscribers to remotely access their direct TV boxes at no extra cost. Watch Sky Movies, Sky Sports and entertainment on your iPad, iPhone, laptop, Xbox, Google TV or Android smart phone. The app has been downloaded over 2.7 million times.
- Sky + (plus) remote record functionality has made it easy to find and record your favourite TV shows from any mobile device so that you never miss your shows ever again. Over 3.1 million people have downloaded the app and it is used by Sky subscribers over 17 million times a month.
- The new Sky Cloud WiFi app makes getting online in Cloud WiFi Hotspots simple. Unlimited usage, so there’s no need to worry about exceeding your mobile data allowance. App is available to Sky customer who have downloaded it over 1.3 million times.
Skyscanner is a powerful, flexible, fun way of finding the cheapest flights. They provide instant comparison on flight prices for over 670,000 routes on over 600 airlines, as well as price comparison for car hire, hotels and holidays. I ran the strategic discovery and envisioning phase of a project before putting together a team to deliver a program to incorporate a new train price comparison an sales section. After the delivery of new functionality train ticket sales went from 0-£1.34 Million in revenues in 6 months. The project included:
- Business modelling
- Customer research
- Defining the user experience
- Redefine business and consumer travel
- Rail alongside flight search results. Fully integrate car hire and hotel bookings
- Incorporate new brand
- Mobile strategy to include next generation, tablet iOS, Android, and responsive web
Just about to start a serious of tactical and innovation experiments for INK Global. Watch this space.
Tesco, Pichic.it, Emotivu content coming soon…
SearchFlow is an electronic conveyancing search service and the UK’s leading property search provider. They provide a one-stop shop for legal professionals in the residential and commercial markets who conduct property and other financial transactions. I ran the strategic discovery and envisioning phase to define the minimum viable proposition to enable their development team to work with a team at Thoughtworks to deliver a slick product proposition quickly to market. As a result SearchFlow is re-revolutionizing the property search world in the UK and have increased their search numbers by 176% and annual revenues from £10.7 Million to over £16.3 Million.
Since redesigning the Lonely Planet web site, traffic increased by 20% in the targeted US market and 30% in the UK, 2010 results – concrete indicators of the inroads being made despite the global slump in the travel market occasioned by the global financial crisis. The project is considered by BBCW Directors as the most significant technology delivery in 2010. Award nominations including the Gourmet Traveler website of the year 2010 have been garnered, and the site has won the Webby for best Travel Site as well as an iAward for technology innovation in the Tourism and Hospitality category.
EDF Energy (Nuclear Power)
The EDF Energy Nuclear Power site informs consumers about the benefits of nuclear powered energy so they can make a decision about switching. The site relies heavily on a clear set of info graphics to show statistics that will certainly make you consider nuclear as a viable alternative to fossil fuel. I worked with a core envisioning team, leading the user experience and interaction team that went on to deliver the project. Written content, tone of voice, accurate statistics, well branded illustrations and interactive educational 3D modelling together with a simple easy to use navigation were key to the success of the site. Sign up sales increased by 31% by persuading consumers to consider nuclear energy as a cleaner, safer source of energy.
WGSN is the leading online trend-analysis and research service providing creative and business intelligence for the apparel, style, design and retail industries. I defined a new cutting edge user experience and the information architecture for the largest Fashion trend forecasting company in the world. Creatively directed the graphic design process to ensure correct look and feel and delivery of assets. Conducted remote usability studies with clients (B2B site) from around the world. Worked closely with the core editorial and production team to get content and global templates ready for production. Delivering the new branded experience and functionality enabled WGSN to create a more flexible charging model and significantly increase annual revenues from £21 Million a year to £33 Million.
With over 50 years experience – Which? has consumer interests at heart. They campaign to protect your consumer rights, review products and offer independent advice on a wealth of subjects. I managed and led the design delivery of a new mobile phone switching website backed by the UK’s most recognized independent consumer advice brand. The product has a unique user interface that allows users to visually define their needs to save them both time and money, backed up with thorough phone testing information not available anywhere else in the world to help them with their decision making. Mobile phone purchase and tariffs revenues went from 0-£763K
As Head of UX, I defined User Experiences for all MSN International sites (EMEA), delivering design solutions based on user centric principles. I worked closely with International Markets, Editors, Vendors and Development teams to deliver usable and cohesive design solutions for MSN home page and channels (including travel) as well as strategically define what the next generation of MSN site experience would be like.
I worked with program managers, product planners and senior development teams to prioritise product features based on their importance on being able to affect key business site metrics. My championing of the use of analytical data to understand user behaviours across MSN International sites has now been widely adopted.
IPC Media (various sites)
For more examples of work please email me